Monday, July 25, 2011

My Blood's Not Good Enough!?


          One of the most traumatizing events of my adolescent life was when I was denied the ability to donate blood for the Red Cross. It was during Greek Week and I was donating blood for a competition, but also because I've donated blood before and it’s a good thing to do. Last time I had donated, however, was in high school and I'm pretty sure I lied about sleeping with guys just because I didn't want anyone to over hear (this was before I had come out). This time, I flat out answered question #24 "yes" in response to "If you are a male, have you ever had sexual relations with another man?" When the lady looking over my paper work asked me, are you sure about your answer to number #24, I said sure and thought nothing of it. She suddenly looked very quite and sad. "I'm sorry but your blood will be thrown out based on your answer to #24.
          I was shocked, hurt, in disbelief that such an organization as the American Red Cross could be so discriminating in their blood selection. I've been tested several times, and I am well aware that I am perfectly clean, but what about the heterosexuals carrying HIV and other blood born diseases that are not so keen on getting tested? Do they seriously not even test other people's blood? This one CNN article from a year ago addresses the issue, pointing out that a straight male only has to wait a year after having sex with a prostitute before the Red Cross will accept his blood for donation. Sounds kind of silly to me.
          Yes, I'm aware that gay men in America, and especially the cities, have a higher chance of carrying such STD's, but that does not warrant the deferral of our blood just because I have sex with men. Condoms have been proven to significantly reduce the risk of STD transmittance, reduce it to the point where I have a much lower chance of catching something than my straight friends who rarely wear condoms. Maybe they should be testing everyone when they give blood, wouldn't that be a great way to get tested and do something good for society. Just a thought… Wirthmore thought. 

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on this. Everytime that I have donated blood to the red cross. I have always lied about question 24, even after I came out. I find that donating to the red cross is a great way to find out if you are clean or not. It is messed up that they want a straight man to wait a year from having sex with a prostitute before donating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in the UK, the situation is the same, but it is changing, according to reports in the news this morning, which suggest that the ban is soon to be lifted. This follows a similar lifting of the ban in other countries, such as Australia. However, there is still going to be a delay required between last sexual intercourse with another man and donation.

    Wonderful blog, by the way. Really very interesting and thought-provoking. Thank you for giving me so much food for thought.

    ReplyDelete